Register  |   | 
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #1 
I better get a lot of figs next year.  These guys owe me!

1119140738.jpg 


__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
waynea

Registered:
Posts: 1,973
Reply with quote  #2 
Nice set up, I bet you will get a lot of figs next year, they will have a head start, This is like spring temperatures. Really nice. Congrats.
eboone

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,154
Reply with quote  #3 
Outdoor temp here was 12 deg F last PM, while in my unheated room under the front porch where almost all my fig plants are stored was 35, and in my unheated garage it was 34 (just one tree therethat was too big for me to carry down the stairs). 

Not gonna be that cold again for a while, have my small electric heater set to use when it does.


edit: I got one of those remote digital thermometers that Dennis recently posted about, works very well!

__________________
Ed
Zone 6A - Southwest PA     
---------------------------
Wish list: a bountiful harvest to share and enjoy... and an Improved Celeste
FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #4 
When the daytime temps get closer to 40, I will be shuffling the two trees that still have leaves on them.  They refuse to go dormant.
__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
OttawanZ5

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,544
Reply with quote  #5 
Good setup.
At 55F ambient inside the garage, the plants may break out of dormancy after natural dormancy period. Just hope that good spring arrives early. To maintain dormancy after the natural dormancy period, a lower temperature helps. However, if you are not heating the garage there is not much that can be done to lower the ambient temperature in the garage.

__________________
Ottawan-Z5a, Canada
FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawanZ5
Good setup.
At 55F ambient inside the garage, the plants may break out of dormancy after natural dormancy period. Just hope that good spring arrives early. To maintain dormancy after the natural dormancy period, a lower temperature helps. However, if you are not heating the garage there is not much that can be done to lower the ambient temperature in the garage.


They broke dormancy around April of last year, which was manageable.  This is an attached unheated garage with 3 walls under ground.  I plan to get some shades before spring to block out the sun on the garage windows and door, which should help keep temps lower.

__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
GreenFin

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 707
Reply with quote  #7 
Those are good looking young trees, Frank, I bet you get some nice production out of them next year.
__________________
James, zone 6a Kansas (zone 10 greenhouses); wish list is in my profile
http://www.FigCuttings.com

greenfig

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,254
Reply with quote  #8 
Congrats, Frank!
Nice looking trees. Are they waiting for a haircut too? I was debating when to trim mine, right after they drop the leaves or shortly before the new ones appear.

__________________
Igor (not James!). Wish list: Calderona. USDA z 10a, SoCal
andreas

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 371
Reply with quote  #9 
great looking trees Frank.
how old is your largest tree in the pictures?

__________________
andreas-patras
Patra   Peloponnisos   Greece     zone..9a  


FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfig
Congrats, Frank!
Nice looking trees. Are they waiting for a haircut too? I was debating when to trim mine, right after they drop the leaves or shortly before the new ones appear.


Yes, some will need pruning.  Some are slated for air layers next year.  I will check the roots sometime in February to see if they need pruning too, as I'll keep them in 5 gallon buckets for a while.

__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
great looking trees Frank.
how old is your largest tree in the pictures?


Thank you.  Oldest tree in the pic is 3 years old.  Most of what you see are 2 years old.

__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
snaglpus

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 4,196
Reply with quote  #12 
Looking good Frank!

I'm afraid to show off my figs inside my shed, GH and garage.  



__________________
Dennis
Charlotte, North Carolina/Zone 8a 

FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #13 
Dennis, I'm sure that would take a photo album of pictures.  ;)
I still don't see how you manage all you have.  Kudos to you.

__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
snaglpus

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 4,196
Reply with quote  #14 
Hey Frank!  I thought about taking over the wife's side of the garage to house more figs.  If I do, I'm gonna need a TV and bed in there too!  
__________________
Dennis
Charlotte, North Carolina/Zone 8a 

FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #15 
Ha!  Yea, I already proposed that to my wife.  Didn't go too well for me too, buddy.
__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
Ampersand

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 726
Reply with quote  #16 
Jeez Frank, your figs are warmer than my office! I think it's 50 in here.
jc_figs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 336
Reply with quote  #17 
it was  19 in nc we broke a long lasting record were supposed to have a above avarge precip and snowfall but havent got any yet im beggining to wonder
__________________
Jailen

Member or jrotc open to all suggestions
Otmani007

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 573
Reply with quote  #18 
Nice setup and good-looking trees you have, Frank. Over here, we got a break today as the temp went up to a high of 67F and is supposed to be a low of 40F tonight. Temp in my garage is currently sitting at 72F.
__________________
Dallas, TX - Zone 8a

Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Otmani
greenbud

Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #19 
Frank, I see you have a lot of windows.  Will the extra light have a negative effect on the trees going dormant.  I have my big tree and a 2ft. cutting overwintering in our basement.  I have a light on at all times but I was thinking maybe I should turn it off when not down there.  Temperature range there is between fifty and thirty five degrees.  Got the cannas, potatoes and dahlias down there too...
FiggyFrank

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,755
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbud
Frank, I see you have a lot of windows.  Will the extra light have a negative effect on the trees going dormant.  I have my big tree and a 2ft. cutting overwintering in our basement.  I have a light on at all times but I was thinking maybe I should turn it off when not down there.  Temperature range there is between fifty and thirty five degrees.  Got the cannas, potatoes and dahlias down there too...


I hope not.  I think as long as the temps are cool enough, they won't wake up prematurely.  I really need to block that light though.

__________________
Frank
zone 7a - VA
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.