Register  |   | 
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Freddenacka

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello!
I'm new to this and I got some fig cuttings in agust that I started to grew.
I have an inside green house with a big led lamp.
Some of the cuttings already have some leaves and branaches.
Should I give them some winter storage before next summer ore should they just continue growing inside and get big?
I want to have best chans to get figs on them next Sumer.
My winter storage have some sun and are around 10c.

My ide is to start them inside in Marsch and then get them out in end of April in the heated winter storage and then out on the sunny balcony in the middle of May.

P.s
The figs are:
Black Malta
Black Madeira
Ficazzana Black
Brown turkey
Fracazano Bianco

Regards
Fredrik
LeanderFig

Registered:
Posts: 155
Reply with quote  #2 
I would personally start them in spring, and move outside. I got a whole bunch (like 40), last fall, and started them inside. I fought fungus gnats all winter. It was terrible. Just my opinion.
__________________
Zone 5a
Freddenacka

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #3 
They are all rooted now so it is a bit to late. I might plan it differently next time.
CliffH

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 290
Reply with quote  #4 
If they are just barely rooted, or rooting, now you are kind of stuck trying to carry them through the winter inside. They probably do not have the root support to survive a cold storage for the winter. But, I'm no expert on winterizing figs since we have little to no winter in my climate.
__________________
Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
Wish List: Bass' Fav, Col Littman's Black Cross, Red Lebanese (Bekka Valley), LSU Red, Navid's UNK Dark Greek, any great Unknowns
KK

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 527
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffH
now you are kind of stuck trying to carry them through the winter inside.

__________________

Growing http://i.imgur.com/TE77zUx.jpg

ricky

Registered:
Posts: 356
Reply with quote  #6 
He should be fine, He has a greenhouse with LED light,  He has a winter storage area with some sun around 10C ( 50F), For me, It is not bad, so many option.

I also agree that "My ide is to start them inside in Marsch and then get them out in end of April in the heated winter storage and then out on the sunny balcony in the middle of May."

I do the same thing for cuttings,  Much less labor with higher successful rate. Just make sure that putting cuttings at fridge but do not less them mold or Dry out.


__________________
- BC, Canada, PNW Zone 8B, Heat zone 2/3, Windy area
- Wish list -  RdB, any good varieties for low heat cool summer PNW.


Freddenacka

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for reply! I will probably let them continue grew inside until they have like 8 leaves and good roots.
After they I will put them in the winter storage so they have some rest before summer.
Is 1 ore 2 months winterrest to little for figs?
Nic40

Registered:
Posts: 132
Reply with quote  #8 
I honestly wouldn't sit on cuttings. If you have a greenhouse I would get a heat mat and start the cuttings November/ December. The longer you store your cuttings the percentage goes down that they will actually root. I have a low to mid 90s percentage of rooting because I will only purchase and use fresh cuttings. Just food for thought
ricky

Registered:
Posts: 356
Reply with quote  #9 
I did some toothpick green cuttings at Sep last year,  I put them inside my house with limited heater at window sill, temperature was between 7 to 11C, it has about 2-3 hours afternoon sun and soil temperature reached 15C, It had few tiny leaves for whole winter as picture, I covered them up with plastic bag with holes and light watered it once per month, At spring time, they started to growing.
It is not wise to root cuttings at end of fall, however, with your 10C greenhouse, It can go through winter, If temperature fall below 5C, it will drop all their leaves and it might not have enough roots reserved energy to wake up at spring time.

Tooth_Pick_olympia_2017_Feb_17_2.jpg 




__________________
- BC, Canada, PNW Zone 8B, Heat zone 2/3, Windy area
- Wish list -  RdB, any good varieties for low heat cool summer PNW.


Freddenacka

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #10 
Most of the figs have grown out a 11cm pot and are now in bigger ones. I believe they will be growing out of thous to Christmas.
Is it a risk that they don't fruit if they newer get colder temperatures and lose there leaves?
Ferdinandissimo

Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky
I did some toothpick green cuttings at Sep last year,  I put them inside my house with limited heater at window sill, temperature was between 7 to 11C, it has about 2-3 hours afternoon sun and soil temperature reached 15C, It had few tiny leaves for whole winter as picture, I covered them up with plastic bag with holes and light watered it once per month, At spring time, they started to growing.
It is not wise to root cuttings at end of fall, however, with your 10C greenhouse, It can go through winter, If temperature fall below 5C, it will drop all their leaves and it might not have enough roots reserved energy to wake up at spring time.

Tooth_Pick_olympia_2017_Feb_17_2.jpg 



Can i ask why it's a bad idea to root at the end of Fall? I'm a novice and i just rooted a bunch of cuttings and am panicking now lol.

__________________
-Ferdinando or Ferd
North NJ zone 6
MyDogMike

Registered:
Posts: 141
Reply with quote  #12 
It's not a bad idea if you have the means to properly take care of them through the winter months.  

I started too many cuttings last fall and ended up running out of space and also had to contend with fungus gnats and such.  It just became a pain (at least in my world with a wife and two kids).

It worked out and I produced some really nice trees, but if I had it to do over again, I would wait till spring just so you always have the benefit of being able to move them outside when they get mature enough. 

just an opinion 
Ferdinandissimo

Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogMike
It's not a bad idea if you have the means to properly take care of them through the winter months.  

I started too many cuttings last fall and ended up running out of space and also had to contend with fungus gnats and such.  It just became a pain (at least in my world with a wife and two kids).

It worked out and I produced some really nice trees, but if I had it to do over again, I would wait till spring just so you always have the benefit of being able to move them outside when they get mature enough. 

just an opinion 
thanks for that input! Next time I'll definitely have to wait. I love this forum so much.

__________________
-Ferdinando or Ferd
North NJ zone 6
shawnjames70

Registered:
Posts: 31
Reply with quote  #14 
I just started a few cuttings and have them under T5HO 8 bulb fixture. There doing great and i hope will be good sized by the spring.
__________________
Growing figs in Eastern Washington state, zone 6b.
Growing:  Excel, Brown Turkey, Black Mission, Olympian, Violette De Bordeaux, Chicago, Texas Blue giant, Peters Honey, Atreano, Black Spanish, Celest, Desert King, Lattarulla, Stella, Negronne, and Panache Tiger.  

Billboard

Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #15 
Did you get the black Malta, ficazzana black, fracazano bianco from maltaseeds? I got the same 3 varieties from them. Good cuttings my trees are pushing 6 ft except the black malta i got that one in late July. Its doing good just not that tall.
Freddenacka

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #16 
Yes did! 6 of 9 are doing realty good so I hope to se some nice fruit next summer!
Billboard

Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #17 
Those are some real nice fresh cuttings. Mibe rooted on the way over from malta. Done people on here really get pissy about buying oversea cuttings and i mean pissed. So watch out. I was shocked.
Freddenacka

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #18 
What do you meen that people get pissed?
MyDogMike

Registered:
Posts: 141
Reply with quote  #19 
I don't think he realizes where you are located.  Sweden?

Buying cuttings and seeds from overseas is a no-no here in the U.S., but it's poorly regulated and some people get away with it...which pisses other people off.  I think that's all he was saying.
Freddenacka

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #20 
Yes i live in Sweden! I guess that we are allowed to send within the European Union but I'm not sure about the rules.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.