I loved his homemade fire pit! The whole thing was really great! Thanks for sharing! I'm a little too lazy to do all that work, but Mario Batalli's sauce works for me.
BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tablespoons dried leaves)
- 1/2 carrot, shredded finely
- 2 28-ounce cans of tomatoes, crushed and mixed
- Salt to taste
To Make Tomato Sauce: Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until translucent but not browned. Add thyme and carrot, cook 5 minutes over medium heat and add tomatoes. Bring to boil, lower heat to just bubbling and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt to taste and set aside.