Albuquerque White #2, Native de Argentile, LSU Scott's Black, Strawberry Verte, and Violette de Bordeaux are the newly harvested figs. I tasted them by color and then ripeness.
- ABQ White #2 was better than last season but nothing special.
- Strawberry Verte was the best it has ever been for me. It had not split, the ribs/veins were impressive and it tasted great. On par with Battaglia Green, and JH Adriatic. Berry flavored, juicy with a delicate crunch. I really like it.
- Cannone Dark was picked too early but its flavor is such that with eyes closed, I know it is a Cannone.
- Malta Black. These fruits did not get as much sunshine as they should have and hence, did not swell nor ripen as fully as others have. Still I prefer Malta Black over any of the previous three figs and this next fig.
- VdB is VdB. Very productive. High quality. Extremely flavorful and loved by birds and squirrels. This tree has the potential to produce more figs than any other not named Celeste, Stallion, or MVSB.
- LSU Scott's Black is figgy, berry, jammy, sweet but complex and melts away as you eat it. Wonderful and better than each of the aforementioned figs...to me.
- Pananas Purple has a unique flavor profile that I have discussed previously. Not better than Scott's Black but different. I used to think it was one of two of the most different flavor profiles that I have ever tasted (Camuna Small Black being the other) until we tasted the next fig.
- Native de Argentile is #1 fig of my season. It is the unanimous best fig in this harvest because its crazy good flavor trumps the acidity of Smith. I posted about it here so quickly the flavor was tropical and layered with a good crunch.