My gardening style is as simple and as natural as possible (i.e. lazy). So what I wanted to do was simulate the conditions a sprouting fig would find in nature.
Since they grow under a mother fig, I dug a 4 x 8 foot spot on the south side (for mid-day shade) of my largest fig (an Italian Honey; it's a weed; so I couldn't kill it if I were trying), put about 4 inches of good quality garden soil on top, and put the cuttings in the ground.
I also gave all the cuttings a brief soak in some home-made rooting tea I made from the soft wood tips of willow branches (which may be totally unnecessary; but it was free so I tried it), and covered the whole area with a quick made chicken wire box to keep the dogs and armidillos from digging up the cuttings. And watered lightly when the dirt looked dry.
Nothing fancy, but I had about a 70% success rate overall. 100% with some, including these: The Almas, Raspberry Lattes, Hardy Chicagos, Celestes, and Golden Celestes all leafed out well and are still going strong, up to about a foot tall now (I'm assuming they have roots because of the length of time they have been growing and vigor of growth; but since they are in ground you can't see of course). The Marsailles Blacks did well too, but more like about 70%. And the only one that was a loss was the Florea. They were good strong looking cuttings so who knows what went wrong. But with a second set there is now one leafing out and two that still look possible. Overall it was a big success I thought, and pretty low stress and low maintenance.
The Almas and the Raspberry Lattes were the strongest, fastest rooters, but once the Marsailles Blacks leafed out they have also been very strong growers and are now the biggest and strongest of the varieties I am rooting.
Most important, it was a lot of fun watching them every day to see what was happening.
And remember that gardening isn't like parachuting. If something goes wrong, you just try again.
Best wishes to all.
North Georgia Piedmont